Friday, October 16, 2009

Grand Rapids Children's Museum

Today, Olivia and I went with our friends to the Grand Rapids Children's Museum. What a wonderful way to spend the morning! We had never been there before and I had been dying to see what it was like, afterall I had heard so many great things about the museum. I definitely wasn't disappointed. There were so many things for the kids to do and you never felt rushed or that your child would be pushed out of the way. I couldn't decide on just a few pictures to share, so I picked a little bit of everything to show how much fun we had.

Luke and Olivia outside of the museum.

Exploring the grocery store.

Experimenting with the spinning disk table. The large grey disk infront of Olivia was spinning on its own. Kids had the opportunity to put smaller disks of varying sizes on the larger disk and watch them spin off. (I'm sure this is related to physics somehow, but Chris wasn't there to give us our lesson!!)

Olivia and Luke played in the Medivac Helicopter. There were buttons and switches galore! Best of all, no fighting over who would pursh what.

Olivia loved playing in the bubble water more than she liked trying to make the bubbles. I had fun making the bubbles!

Here Olivia is checking out one of the many funhouse type mirrors that the museum had.

This one is for you Uncle Larry!
With it being Fire Prevention Month, the kids visiting the museum had the chance to dress up in the type of clothes that firefighters use. There was also a "fire truck" for the kids to play in (turn on the siren, light up the lights, pretend to drive, steps to climb up and a slide to go down), a house that taught fire safety, and a firefighter puzzle.

This "tunnel" had mirrors on all three sides on the inside, so when you looked just right...

it created a kalidescope effect! Way cool!!

Luke and Olivia took some time to play with the train table.

I've never seen anything like this before. There were holes in the plexiglass where the kids could drop the balls into the frame. Then at the bottom, there is a handle for the kid to pull out that would drop all of the balls out. Olivia didn't figure that part out, but she loved all of the balls.

Here Olivia is "washing" her hands in the toddler size kitchen.
As I said before, we had so much fun here and I can't wait to take Olivia back...soon. I love the fact that there are permanent exhibits that you can always count on, but the museum also changes many of the exhibits so there is something new to do there the next time you come. That fact alone has enticed me to purchase there family membership.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These pictures are so cute ! I wish I could have enjoyed the day with you. Looks like she had alot of fun.

Deb said...

Comment from Deb.