Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dr. Seuss in Hudsonville Michigan

Somehow Hudsonville Michigan became a stop for a traveling Dr. Seuss exhibit. To help you understand why I am amazed at this, let me tell you a few of the towns this exhibit had either been to or was getting ready to go to.... Hotel de Coronado in San Diego, San Diego Zoo, and the Naples Zoo. Hudsonville was the smallest town it would be visiting. Pretty impressive for West Michigan! Well we had a beautiful day in mid-April and we took Olivia and Lilly (one of the little girls I am babysitting) to go see the exhibit. It was very cool and I'm glad we made time to do this.

Olivia sitting on the foot of the Cat in the Hat.
This was the tallest bronze sculpture.
How the Grinch Stole Christmas

The Lorax

Green Eggs and Ham

Yurtle the Turtle
This sculpture, was by far, my favorite!
I just love this little turtle who is hanging on for dear life!

Olivia peeking around the turtles.

Inside city hall, they had more art work. Many paintings, sketches, or wall hangings. All of which were for sale, unframed. I don't think I will be buying any original Dr. Seuss art work any time soon. One painting ran $16,000 unframed. One wall sculpture (seen in this photo, the head with the long horns above the paintings) ran $25,000. Uh...I don't think so...

I took pictures of all of the art work, but the photos just don't do them justice. The colors were often very bright and vivid. However, this piece of art would be easily recognizable, so I included it.
Like I said, great exhibit and if you live in the area and haven't checked it out, please do so. I think you will find it worth your time.

1 comments:

Jackie said...

Where in Hudsonville? How long is the exhibit in town?